Friday, July 11, 2008

Featured Story!

Becoming Proud and Powerful





Interview with Alicia Rouse, Storyteller


Why did you decide to tell this story?

I decided to tell this story because I finally felt comfortable stating out loud that I have a disability and I am proud. I felt comfortable enough because of the welcoming that I have received from the disability community.

What do you want people to learn or question after seeing your story?

I want people to stop perceiving PWD’s as broken, weird, scary, etc., I felt ashamed for a long time that I had a disability and I never should have felt bad about myself. But it is b/c society views having a disability as being a bad thing. Why would that be? Is it bad to have red hair? No it is just different than the norm. People with disabilities are not special, or god’s children, we are just human beings. Don’t pity people with disabilities!!

How will or have you used this story for advocacy?

I am not sure how I am going to use this story, I know Glenn talked about having the DD Council see it, maybe if I get up enough courage I will share it with staff [at her workplace]. I need to brainstorm how and in what environment it would be appropriate.

Tell us a little about the experience of creating a digital story. (Would you do it again? Was it worth it?)

I really enjoyed the experience of creating my story. I wish there had been more one on one time, or half day workshops because it was left up to us to do things on our own time and that was difficult to manage with schedules already being full. I would love to do another story about transportation or current discrimination against PWD’s or something along civil rights, and show it to legislators and representatives at the capitol. I think that would make a huge impact on them if they could actually see what PWD’s have to face in a supposed inclusive society. It was totally worth it!!! it gave me the courage to own up to having a disability and be proud about who I am.

No comments: