Thursday, August 28, 2008

You Tube Adds Closed Captions!

I learned today from someone on the COAT Coalition mailing list about this feature! See an article about closed captions on You Tube!

I've been on MDRC's You Tube Channel tonight adding captions to the videos we've uploaded. We had the caption files already done, of course, as Google Video has had this feature for a while. I did hear from one person that when you embed the You Tube videos though, the captions don't work. I also noticed that the caption ability/toggle is cleverly hidden in the lower right hand corner of the player with an arrow pointing up. When you select the arrow, you are given the option to turn on captions.

Through the process of reading about this new development, I also found a resource new to me- a pdf file: "Providing Captions for Flash-Based Streaming Video"

Progress is good! And we were ready to respond. Let us know what you think of our captions on You Tube!

No comments: